WESLEY CAERPHILLY METHODIST CHURCH, CRESCENT ROAD, CF83 1AB
Dear Church Members and Friends
Cancellation of Church Services due rise in Covid19 in Caerphilly Borough
The Wesley Covid Task group has been keeping a close watch on the unfolding situation in Caerphilly Borough and in the town concerning the rise in numbers of Coronavirus cases. As some of you will know the decision was taken on Saturday morning to cancel the service due to be held at Wesley on Sunday 6th September.
On Monday evening the Welsh Government announced that due to the worrying and increasing spike in Coronavirus cases local lockdown measures would be put in place covering the Borough of Caerphilly effective from 6pm on Tuesday, to include the restriction on travel out of or into the Borough, except for work that cannot be done from home, to visit a vulnerable relative and for care purposes. Measures also include different households not gathering indoors where social distancing cannot be maintained, and the wearing of face masks in enclosed spaces such as shops and churches. These measures will remain in place until October with no end date at this time. Things may get worse before they get better, and more stringent lockdown measures may need to be imposed to bring the virus under control.
Whilst currently Churches can open, each church needs to decide whether to hold services at this time. The Task Group and stewards, supported by the Circuit Superintendent, have taken the decision that all services at Wesley due to take place in September will be cancelled. When the Government and Borough Council have reviewed the lockdown and issued further guidance, we will consider October.
The Church Stewards have been fully prepared for this eventuality however it had been hoped that we would get to October before such a decision had to be taken. It was not to be. We remain ready to open when cases return to safer levels and confidence rises. We will not take risks with this virus.
In the meantime, there will be a Zoom service this coming Sunday 13th September at 10.30am, and further details will be sent out by email this Friday.
God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference. And may God bless you all and give you her peace and assurance during this time.
Take care, stay safe and keep well.
With every blessing